[Sca-cooks] Knives

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 13:35:23 PST 2002

On the very tender subject of knives...

I've come to the conclusion it's personal preference.
I had one set of "student knives" stolen, when it came
time to replace my hubby let me choose.  He had gotten
me a Henckel parer...didn't feel right (and doing
pastry I use that a LOT).  And all my old home kitchen
knives were Henckels, but I had stopped using them
because they weren't as good in shape as my school
knives.  Went out and test drove everything (and I
pretty much mean everything on the market), both
manufacturer and in size ranges and handle styles.  I
now use a Messermeister set with a smooth grip (still
full tang, but the handle is "formed ergonomically" or
whatever).  I like the weight.  I tend even for
straight cooking to use a short Chef's Knife (8") and
I like something with some substance. And I have
fairly large hands for a woman.  Not everyone does.

I've worked under CMCs (Certified Master Chefs) and
everyone has a favorite (one chef I know has a fish
boner that looks like an ice pick it's been used so
long - another only uses cheap knives cause he "loses"
them one way or another constantly).

I get a little anal about this one....Choose the knife
that works for you...not the one that costs the most
or that other people tell you to get.  Try everything
and trust your hands.  You'll never go wrong.

Alessandra

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)