[Sca-cooks] poll

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Wed Feb 6 05:49:32 PST 2002

Well, I think it is a tie, digby's goo on fresh young asparagus[misc.], duck
with pykle for malard [TaTEoM], or 'a roast of meat' from andalusian [also
in the misc.] as i love lamb and chickpeas [although lacking the fresh
corriander leaves, i used curley parsley. I like it better with parsley]

Obviously, they are great made at home, but i have made all of them in a
camp site, and have done the goo and roast for events. I don't like going
goo for the masses, and prefer the roasted duck and roast at a field event
where i have outdoors cooking facilities. We had an event site that was a
camp ground that had the paralell walls of masonary with grates on top that
could manage 4 50 lb bags of charcoal and IIRC 4 full sheep cut in halves.
Wonderfull grill!

My favorite period ingredient is ..... everything! I don't differentiate
between cooking ingredients as I use them mundanely, not just for period.
Oddities like cubebs and galengale are actually still used modernly, and I
don't think that the free range lamb I raised was too different than a lamb
chowing down on graze from 500 years ago. It was a romney/wensleydale/dorset
cross, all 3 breeds were available 500 years ago. I can't really see them
segregating the different flocks of sheep to make purebreeds only...

Never really left anything key at home, but I would have delegated somebody
to schlep out to get a replacement for it if I had. I try to make sure that
I get everything I need listed and ready to go fairly far in advance. I am
already planning for pennsic when i get home from pennsic [we do an aweful
lot of cooking ;-)]
margali

the quote starts here:
I was wondering and hoping that you all might be willing to provide input to
a poll (and maybe a few stories along the way)...  Nope, nothing
political... nothing about religion... just food.

What is your favorite PERIOD recipe?  Is this a better 'eventing' or 'home'
recipe?

What is your favorite PERIOD ingredient?

What is your best story about 'leaving a key ingredient or utensil at home'?
How did you get along without out it (went to town and replaced it, made do
without)?

Richard Falconer