[Sca-cooks] For those new to cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 6 22:55:59 PST 2002

Michelle declared:
> Ah, but that makes the assumption that I cook for him, which I don't.
>  He usually cooks for me.  [I once set a pot of popcorn on fire, but
> at least that wasn't as bad as one of my brothers who put a dish in
> the oven with the plastic wrap still on.]

Yes, it happens. I learned in a meeting this morning that the group
I was meeting with spent a number of miserable cold minutes outside in
the rain last night because someone put popcorn in the microwave and
went off and left it. Unfortunately, they had punched in 30 minutes
instead of 3 minutes and it set off the fire alarms.

I have learned quite a lot about both mundane and period cooking
simply being on this list for the last few years. If you feel
uncertain about cooking, especially period cooking, perhaps trying
some simple period recipes might help.

This file was started last November when some easy period recipes
for pot lucks were discussed:
easy-p-recip-msg   (7K) 11/29/01    Some easy period recipes. Ideal for new
                                       cooks or for cooks new to period cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/easy-p-recip-msg.html

Or maybe this might help:
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-novices-msg.html

Other folks here have also suggested picking up a modern cookbook
with some good basic cooking info such as "Joy of Cooking".

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net