[Sca-cooks] For those new to cooking

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 08:35:08 PST 2002

--- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

<Along with some suggestions for files and such>

> Other folks here have also suggested picking up a
> modern cookbook
> with some good basic cooking info such as "Joy of
> Cooking".

"Joy of Cooking" is very good, well worth an evening
sit with a mug of hot chocolate, and reading through,
not the recipes, per se, but the food information that
the chapters contain. One of the mysteries new cooks
have to deal with are how foods work- once you start
to figure that out, cooking becomes considerably
easier.

Some of the TV cooks are helpful, too. When Alton
Brown does a show, he generally focusses on a
particular foodstuff such as onions, or corn, and not
only gives you a fair amount about the history and
such, but usually gives you a couple of recipes.

Several people on the List disagree with me, but I
thoroughly enjoy Emeril LaGasse, because he not only
does interesting things with food, but he will explain
different variations you can do. He, also, will often
focus on a particular foodstuff, and often bring in an
expert on it, or perhaps will focus on a particular
culture's dishes. Only disagreements I really have
with him, is that he thinks bell peppers are food, and
I get a bit tired of his standard garnish of different
colored spices on the edge of the plate ;-)

Other than that, it is reasonable to assume that if
you're on this List, you're interested in food, and
there are certainly enough people here who are very
knowledgeable about it. Ask your questions- I'm always
happy to learn something I never thought to ask ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,