[Sca-cooks] frugal gourmet

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Feb 7 14:40:31 PST 2002

Nope, never got a response. Don't still have the list, I mailed it to
him...I suppose if I bothered to acquire another copy of his book [I
rewrapped it and gave it to some other suck\\\\deserving person for
christmas] I could recreate the list...

just doing a google search for snippets from the book, I turned up this :
Ancient Roman Bread
We are quite sure that when the Romans invaded Greece they had their eating
habits changed drastically. The Greek slaves who were taken back to Rome
taught the Romans to use several different flours in a single loaf instead
of the one common flour that was used in Rome. I think theis recipe is about
as close as we come to the flavors that were enjoyed during the early days.

Historically speaking, in general romans practiced monoculture on the
latifundia where the majority of the grains were grown.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1996/V3-156.html
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/research/profiles/butler/annbute.htm

margali

the quote starts here:
>>I don't like the frugal gourmet, his researchers are for geschtunk. I came
up with 22 separate fubars from his 3 ancient cuisines cookbook using just
what i had on hand for reference books [including accessing the encyclopedia
brittanica, surely one of the most commonly available resources for even
high school students!!!] Just for giggles I mailed it to him with a
suggestion he should hire a competent researcher.

margali<<

      Did you get a response? :-)   Is anybody else interested in seeing
this list?  (I am!)

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu