Households was Re: [Sca-cooks] Politics rant

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Sun Feb 10 07:21:34 PST 2002

Sieggy raised an interesting point about the rise of households within
the society.  My own household had a twelth night feast that was
attended by more people than the baronial feast in our area.
Historically the majority of our household did not involve themselves in
the SCA at the local level and attended only two events a year (our
local Baron Wars and Pennsic).  Recently however this has begun to
change.  The people in the household are a little older and politics
within our Barony got interesting again.  The result, our household now
has a charter saying that you shall be a member of the SCA, you must
attend at least one local meeting per year and three events (one other
than the wars mentioned)  we are developing a fighting group, four of
the members of the household are now officers of local groups, and all
but two of the officers for the upcoming Baron Wars are also household
members.  Why the change?  Because we saw the trend towards dirty
politics and wanted to reverse it.  We represent a good proportion of
the members of our Barony and are using the system to institute change,
rather than bitching about it afterwards.  So instead of a household
leaching experience from the local group we are instead adding to it.  I
think our response is far healthier and can only do good for the local
group.
Just my two cents worth from my own perspective.
Helewyse de Birkestad