Households was Re: [Sca-cooks] Politics rant

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 08:47:17 PST 2002

I only got into this conversation on the tail end (I skim the cooks list
nowadays because of my work schedule) so I apologize if this was already
covered.

I've only been in the SCA for roughly 2.5 years.  In March, 2 of those three
I have been Seneschal of my local Barony.  I completely agree with the idea
of putting positive energy into things and for _me_ doing whatever I can to
improve the SCA.  If I see a problem, I try to help fix it.  I have a lot of
issues with people who all they do is bitch and complain about things, and
the moment they have an opportunity to change the issue, suddenly they are
"too busy" (but not too busy to bitch, it seems).

The more people that are out there trying to put in positive engery, the
better the SCA will get.  It is up to us to improve things, not these "other
nameless people" to do it.  If you think "someone else will do it" then that
is the main problem.  Things get done by people.  Things don't magically
appear and are placed on ones lap completed, all tied up with a bow.

Someone does it and well, I enjoy it and if it makes things better for other
people too, VERY cool.  I just wish more people felt this way, but hopefully
my leading by example, things will change for the better.

With this being said...if there ARE people that are negative, or as someone
else pointed out, dressing up like fantasy creatures or barbarians from dime
store novels...well, there will always be both.  Some people enjoy
complaining and if they have nothing to complain about then they have no
hobbies.  I try to stay even more positive around them.

Those people that dress up outside of historical referrences...I remind
myself that this IS all a game originally created by fantasy writers.  If
they want to do that, then hey, its up to them.  Who am I to sit there and
judge if someone is wearing elf ears, huh?  Whether I agree with them or
not, it doesn't matter much to me.  I don't let it bother me since it is
their deal.  As long as they don't make me wear what they are, then we can
all live happily together.  There are better things to worry about that what
other people are doing...like how to do a good luncheon and what new cooking
technique will make things look even spiffier (and make my life easier in
cooking it).

I won't say I am ALWAYS Sister Mary Sunshine, but hey, its a hobbie.  We all
needs one of those, right? :)

--Artemesia

P.S.  Hopefully this all made sense...not trying to slam anyone, just my
opinion.