[Sca-cooks] OT politics and respect

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 10:54:13 PST 2002

Kiriel wrote: "Ultimately whether you are involved in politics or not,
you end up being given the respect you earn."

  Yes, but how do you earn it, when the power group refuses to
acknowledge that you exist?
  One can offer to cook, autocrat, help out, or what have you; only to
be ignored, told flat out that "..we can handle it" (no thanks, anyhow)
or to be coddled along, planning and working, only to be told several
weeks later that "well, so-and-so has [always been in charge] or [been
working on that] and they've already got it all set up, so..."
  Local politics being what they can be, it can be impossible to be
part of a group that's wound too tight, and if it's too far to go to
play with others, except on a once or twice a year basis, what is one
to do?
  I think *that's* the kind of politics that causes people to leave.
When one gets involved in politics whether they want to or not, the
alternatives are to force yourself on those who don't want *you* (or
anyone else they don't know) to play with *them*, or to just give it up
and go away.
  Fortunately, this isn't a reflection of my own local group, although
they -can- be a bit stuffy <g>, but I saw this happen to some
co-workers, in a different area, several years ago.  They don't pay or
play anymore :-(
If I had joined there and then, I don't think I'D be playing now
either. (Thank goodness for layoffs ;-p )

Bethra