Rumpolt was [Sca-cooks] Eastern European History

Fri Feb 15 06:41:11 PST 2002

Max Rumpolt was a 16th Century German cook from Hungary (and apparently of
Wallachian descent) who wrote Ein neu Kochbuch (1581).  It is of interest
because it contains some of the earliest known recipes for some of the New
World foodstuffs.  The book also provides instructions for ordering kitchen
and staff.

Thomas Gloning has webbed transcriptions of various sections of the book at:

http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kobu.htm

And a translation has been undertaken by Gwen-Cat.

Bear