[Sca-cooks] wheat-free dairy-free diet in period or OOP

Dunbar, Debra debra.dunbar at aspenpubl.com
Fri Feb 15 06:51:54 PST 2002

Inga-  Can you "phase in" the soy milk?  I've found that mixing it half and
half with regular milk, then gradually reducing the percentage of regular
milk gives someone time to get used to the flavor.  Also, the flavored soy
milks tend to be easier to transition to first - like using vanilla flavored
soy milk instead of the plain.  My son has really taken to the Silk
chocolate soy milk - and he is a real dairy fiend.  You might also want to
make sure the soy milk is super cold.

I've used soymilk in baking with no problem, and have used tofu in recipes
with good luck.  Cooking Light, May 2001 had some great dessert recipes
involving tofu instead of diary - even a cookies and cream ice cream.  They
may have these recipes online at their site.

My son also likes the soy cheese, and will eat the soy yogurt if I mix in
enough fruit and sugar. He's a very picky 4 year old, so what worked for him
might work for your son.

I'm at a loss on cooking without wheat, though.
Wrynne