[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1431 - 6 msgs

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Feb 18 05:44:43 PST 2002

Other than in my house. I have enough sensitivities to various molds and
such, and I am of the very firm and unshakable opinion [and being the alpha
b*tch in the place] nothing that you would not cook and eat goes into a
stock. No peelings, no onion skins [more kinds of mildews, molds and fungus
live between the layers...and a few can be fairly toxic in the right
conditions!] and no generic stocks. You can have beef, chicken, veal or
seafood/fish stocks. Heck, you can even use up the various duck bits and
make duck soup.

Sorry, but in certain things I am gideously and tacitly adamant like one
other person on the list [without looking like fred flintstone] in that
stocks are to be made with good ingredients otherwise they are not worth the
bother. Any off flavors will just get concentrated like the yummy flavors
that one is after. Anybody that knows me will also realize that there are
damn few commercial meat glazes or prepared stocks I will bother with for
similar reasons. If I want that much of a salt flavor in my food, I can
certainly oversalt it myself!
margali

the quote starts here: