[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1431 - 6 msgs

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Feb 18 06:13:54 PST 2002

> Other than in my house. I have enough sensitivities to various molds and
> such, and I am of the very firm and unshakable opinion [and being the
alpha
> b*tch in the place] nothing that you would not cook and eat goes into a
> stock. No peelings, no onion skins [more kinds of mildews, molds and
fungus
> live between the layers...and a few can be fairly toxic in the right
> conditions!] and no generic stocks. You can have beef, chicken, veal or
> seafood/fish stocks. Heck, you can even use up the various duck bits and
> make duck soup.

I would argue your assertion that "peelings" aren't cookable and eatable.
Properly washed, most vegetable peels are perfectly edible... and probably
were, in period. Onion skins are perfectly edible - just not terribly
pleasant. And any onion that has black powdery mold on it should be thrown
out; peeling the outer layers away is NOT sufficient.

And what's wrong with a generic vegetable stock? Done right, you can use it
as a base for any other kind of stock.

Avraham