[Sca-cooks] stocks

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Mon Feb 18 08:16:45 PST 2002

Nothing wrong with a proper court bouillion [veggie stock] in the right
time/place. I have been known to poach fish in a lovely court bouillion. I
have even been known to make a wonderful fumet or fish stock and add gelatin
from rendered fish bits to make an aspic for enrobing and garniture. Heck, I
have been been known to use whole crawdads pounded to get the essence to
make crawdad butter as a garniture and finish for other dishes.

Phlip is throwing all sorts of critter bits into the pot to make a generic
stock. I don't like 'muddy' tasting stocks. I want the stock to say 'beef'
or 'chicken' or 'crawfish' and not 'cleaning out the freezer, let's see what
is lurking'. I also find that frex carrot skins happen to have a very slight
bitter undertone that when concentrated can be unpleasant. The same can be
said of overaged celery - the anise taste gets stronger. You might also keep
in mind that many times [frex the solitixin in potato skins] the bitter
principal is to deter nibbling by bugs and resides in the skins.

As I said, when you concentrate the stock, you concentrate ALL of the
flavors. Keep that in mind ;-)
margali

the quote starts here:
I would argue your assertion that "peelings" aren't cookable and eatable.
Properly washed, most vegetable peels are perfectly edible... and probably
were, in period. Onion skins are perfectly edible - just not terribly
pleasant. And any onion that has black powdery mold on it should be thrown
out; peeling the outer layers away is NOT sufficient.

And what's wrong with a generic vegetable stock? Done right, you can use it
as a base for any other kind of stock.

Avraham