[Sca-cooks] More ...thoughts...

bonneoftraquair at netscape.net bonneoftraquair at netscape.net
Tue Feb 19 13:32:58 PST 2002

>>    No.  That's not what I said. I said that I would give MY OWN
>> CREATION a "period-style" designation and a "period-style name" IF I
>> entered it in a competition. This is what I did in the case I was
>> describing.>

><<If they assume an unlabled, un-named potluck dish is period, I am
>sorry, but it's not my fault. >>
>
>No, it wouldn't be your fault, but you may hear yourself quoted as a source -
>"I know potato soup is period, because so-and-so brought it to a potluck and
>she knows lots about medieval food!"

More likely, something like her own creation will show up somewhere later with someone claiming it is period.  They know it is because it was in a competition with a '"period-style" designation and a "period-style name" ' and submitted by a lady with a reputation for knowing about period cookery. Something from a competition is even better 'proof' than something eaten at potluck for those without enough interest to actually research the matter themselves.

I don't understand what parameter of competition this entry would satisfy anyway.  In a competition for period cookery, your own creation isn't appropriate.  Unless, by 'my own creation' you mean that you worked with several similar recipes (due to the usual lack of detail in each) and from all that information redacted one useful recipe in modern language and technique.  In that case, identify one recipe as your basis, and use it's name.  The other recipes are research for your documentation.  If the competition was not for period cookery, why bother with giving it a period name?

Bonne