[Sca-cooks] I'm BAAAACCKK!!! BWAHAHA!!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Feb 22 10:58:42 PST 2002

Hi everyone!

The damn broke! Yay!

Kinda no one's fault- I maded more noise and more noise and someone
finally talked to the sysadmin at EFN, and this is what they tell me
this morning:

> Ansteorra.org's mailserver, mail.ansteorra.org, has the IP address
> 216.62.214.29, which has a reverse-DNS name that resolves somewhere
> in dsl.austtx.swbell.net (that is, one gets different answers if one
> looks it up by name to get the address, or by address to get the name).
> This forward- and reverse-DNS inconsistency can create problems, it
> would be for the best if they could get swbell.net to delegate authoritative
> reverse DNS to them.
> Moreover, due to trouble we'd had with spammers in .dsl.austtx.swbell.net
> and due to swbell.net's failure to do anything about them, we had been
> blocking incoming mail from mailservers in that address space.  I have
> removed the block, hopefully we won't be subjected to more spam; if we
> find ourselves obliged to resume such blocking, ansteorra.org can avoid
> it at their end by either:
>
> 1. getting authoritative reverse-DNS for their address space; or
> 2. configuring their mailserver to route its outgoing mail thru
>    swbell.net's primary mailserver as a smarthost.

Wasn't Ansteorra.org- was swbell.net! A MIDDLEMAN! AHA!

Mail appears to be working this morning, which is very lovely! La la
la...

Gunthar, I can send you the contact info for the sysadmin if you need
it.

Love you all- it's GREAT to be back!

'Lainie