[Sca-cooks] Florgy-thingie was re: halp! Need articles!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 22 23:47:38 PST 2002

Arte replied to me with:
> >Sigh. Nobody pays attention any more. All that hard work, by a variety >of
> >people, just simply ignored. Ooddles and ooddles of articles on a wide
> >variety of subjects and just sitting there for the downloading. And >you've
> >forgotten... :-)
>
> Nope, I didn't forget.  My chronicler told me she spoke to SOMEONE about the
> florgy-thingie last year and was told that no articles can be reprinted from
> it.  I told her that she needs to talk to you again about it.  She said she
> would once her system is back up and running.  I figured I would ask for the
> articles directly from the writers now, and then have her try to work with
> the florgy. :)

If the chronicler is thinking about mundane law, then they are wrong.
There may be a question about the material posted to public mail lists
and newsgroups. However, in the case of the articles most of them
have been submitted directly to me and I have the permission of the
author to use them and for others to also reprint them. The release
is at the bottom of any such articles, as it is in yours.

I did hear some grumblings in Trimaris that the Kingdom Chronicler
was not allowing his local chroniclers to reprint stuff unless
they had a signed letter okaying it from the author. I never heard
anything more. Of course, I try to include accurate contact info
in the articles so that anyone that needs such more explicit
permission, such as someone outside the SCA or wanting to use
an article for a for-profit publication, can reach the author.

Morgan, you out there? Any comments?

> See you lurker!  Sometimes being modest and shy works for ya, huh? ;)
>
> Also, I got a free newseltter from Kiri's barony...seems her chronicler
> printed up my ceramics articles.  Yeay!  I was soooo happy to see it
> printed...AND I got to see what was going on in Kiri's barony (and a very
> spiffy newsletter it was too).

I ask to be notified of such republication, so that I can track
which articles are being republished, but I don't get that many
notices. I can't offer my authors any money for their work, but
I can offer some recognition and word fame.  Congratulations on
getting your work published further.

For anyone who is curious, here are Arte's articles:
Ceramics-Intro-art(13K) 11/19/01    An introduction to pottery and ceramics
                                       by Lady Artemesia Serena.
Throwing-Pots-art (13K) 11/21/01    "Throwing Pots" by Lady Artemesia Serena.
                                       Using a potter's wheel.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net