[Sca-cooks] Big Eggs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 25 19:05:46 PST 2002

Also sprach Diamond Randall:

>Does anyone have any period recipes for ostrich
>eggs?  I thought about even making up a traditional southern deviled egg (one)
>for giggles at head table some event.  Surely these were known as oddities in
>period from Roman ventures into Africa, but I have never seen any
>documentation.

There are at least two period recipes for "gargantuan" eggs, made
with various concentric molded yolks and whites. You place raw yolks
in a small, round bladder, boil and cool them, remove them, then
place the yolk ball, along with the whites, in the middle of another,
larger bladder.

This doesn't document the use of such large eggs per se, but it
suggests that people were at least aware of the concept.

>I also will have available a whole emu to butcher possibly
>soon and wonder if anyone has ever heard of serving a whole roast "roc" at a
>feast?  I would imagine it would not be an easy task to prepare and cook.

Ras roasted an emu (and called it a roc) at an event in Aethelmearc a
few years ago. I've taken the liberty of forwarding your message to
him; I haven't heard from him in a while, so can't even guarantee the
address is good.

Adamantius