[Sca-cooks] Caid Cooks' Event :)

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 25 20:54:33 PST 2002

Greetings
Please pass this ad to your local cooking and brewing guilds in your
Barony.  Thanks.
John Garr
Seneschal Barony of Naevehjem

FIRST ANNUAL NAEVEHJEM COOKIN
31 May 2002 to 2 June 2001

The Barony of Naevehjem and the Cooking Guild of Naevehjem invites you to a
unique event.  This event is a battle of cooks, brewers, winemakers, etc. to
determine the best  in a series of categories.  Prizes will be given for the
best:

Bread
Desert
Main dish
Vegetables
Soup
Beer
Ale
Wine
Non-alcoholic drink

and any other categories anyone can send to the Autocrat prior to the
event.  The categories will be judged based upon taste, authenticity (SCA
Period) and presentation.  The tentative schedule is as follows;

31 May       5PM                   Site opens
1 June       Noon (SCA time)      Opening court
1 June       5PM                  Judging of Categories
1 June       6PM                  Eating the leftovers from the
judging
1 June       7PM                  Awarding prizes
2 June       12 Noon            Site closes

In addition a bardic contest will be waged to honor the best poem, song or
play which glorifies food.  An Eric will be erected for those of you who
must hit something while their dish is simmering, however it will strictly
be BYOM (bring your own marshal).

If anyone is interested in giving a class on some aspect of food
preparation, spices, brewing, etc. please contact the Autocrat.

A more detailed announcement will appear in the May issue of the Crown
Prints

The site is the traditional site for the Naevehjem Water Festival, French
Gulch Group Campground, on the West side of Lake Isabella. If it had an
address, it would be 32475 Hwy 155, Lake Isabella CA 93240. There are flush
toilets and showers on site. It's far enough away from the mundane world
that we can dance and drum all night if we want, but it's only a few miles
from town, if you need to make a Village raid.

To get there, take Hwy 178, either from Hwy 58 near Bakersfield (where it's
called State Mtn 99) or from Hwy. 14 south of Ridgecrest, and go over the
hills to Lake Isabella. Turn NW on Hwy 155 (at the SW end of the lake). The
turn-off to French Gulch is on the right, after you pass the dam.

The fee for the weekend is $10 for adults and children under 12 are free.
The day fee for Saturday is $7 for adults and children are free.  Make
checks payable to: SCA Inc, Barony of Naevehjem.  Unfortunately, there's too
much hassle to have merchants on Forest Service land, so we have to do
without.

The site opens at 5pm Friday afternoon (31 May), and closes at 2pm on
Sunday (2 June). In accordance with Forest Service regulations, we need to
tell you: SCA is an equal opportunity organization, so everyone is welcome.

Autocrat:      THL John Garr (John Shepherd) 524 W Wild Rose Ave,
Ridgecrest, CA,  93555 760-375-5626 (5-9pm),  e-mail:
jcshep at ridgecrest.ca.us