[Sca-cooks] Big Eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Feb 28 23:06:28 PST 2002

Kiriel commented:
> Most Australian game meat is served quite rare.  Kangaroo and crocodile certainly are, though I have not eaten emu (at least in my recollection). Australian game tends to be very low in fat so can become very dry if overcooked.  Mind you I had a redwine and kangaroo pie recently which had obviously been cooked long and slow, and was just scrumptious. The other thing that is often done with Australian game meat is threading fat through it to keep it moist. <

Yes, this process is called larding, and we've discussed it here
several times. This is the first place I'd ever heard of it. Anyway,
for more comments on this process, see this file in the FOOD section
of the Florilegium:
larding-msg        (9K)  9/27/01    Inserting fat into meat in period and today.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/larding-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net