a cooks tour was Re: [Sca-cooks] re: recipes was lots of pickles

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:45:30 PST 2002

>FOODTV.com:

"A Cook's Tour
The Cook Who Came In From the Cold  [next airdate: Tues. 10:30 p.m. ET/PT]
In this episode:
Growing up in the Cold War, Tony
secretly longed to be a spy. Now, he
has to settle for a guided tour of St.
Petersburg. Zamir shows him the best
blini and borscht in town, and the
braised reindeer and pickled salad. A
homecooked dumpling ends the day.

This all sounds feasible enough.  They don't include recipes, but these are
all basic foods that don't depend on post-Columbus ingredients [tomatoes,
etc.]I'll try to watch or tape it tonight.<

Wow...talk about trying to make it sound interesting.  It barely kept my
attention.  This guy is SUCH an ass.  He made all sorts of comments under
his breath, which maybe it was my own russian ancestors yelling at me, but
MAN I just thought this guy knew zip (and my was he rude).

Both restaurants looked like tourist traps to me, though the blini shop
looked like a nice place to go and have a coffee with the millions of
blini'.

He thought he was terribly funny when he was mentioning serving reindeer
during the holidays at his restuarant in New York.  "Mommy, are we eating
rudolf?"  Gimme a break, will ya?

Is that the only real referrence for Russian cusine?  Did I find yet another
culture that is hard to research food (like Japanese and Chinese).  Sheesh.
Can I pick em, or what?

One part he bought a real fur (well, it looked it) cap for $10 american!
I'd LOVE a nice fur hat. Russian personas are so cool. :)

--Arte