[Sca-cooks] Will the real twinkie please stand up!

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 08:02:31 PST 2002

Lady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds
House Blackstar
Bright Hills Cooks Guild
Order of the Pearl
Barony of Bright Hills
Kingdom of Atlantia!

>From: Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
>To: SCA-Cooks maillist <SCA-Cooks at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: [Sca-cooks] Will the real twinkie please stand up!
>Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:36:43 -0600
>
>Olwen said:
> > HA!  I think I got it now folks!  Thanks Muiredach, I got you message
>when =
> > got back from my place.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> > http://communities.msn.com/OlwensOddities/twinkieescapade.msnw?Page==1
>
>Wow! Particularly the one on the right in the plastic container.
>
>What did you do to get the color and texture so right? and you even
>managed the slightly browner bottom on them. And the cream center.
>
>--
>THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

I shall pass along your complement to Alainne and Hans!  Thanks!

The marzipan regular colour was good for the inner dough part.  The "cream
filling" was made from grated, chopped coconut, white chocolate and a little
cocoa butter, and the outer layer is coconut grated, chopped finely and
toasted in a pan on the stovetop (ok, I did that part).  I just overtoasted
a bit to make the bottom darker.  They actually dissected a twinkie to make
sure it was actually the same inside (of course they ate several of the
models) and they rolled three seperate balls of the filling and placed them
side-by-side inside the shell and the very finishing touch was when they
poked the three holes in the bottom and piped some filling in.  It was a
very fun evening!

Now that I have posted better pictures, you should go back to get a really
good view.
Olwen