[Sca-cooks] Tea Supplier in Bath was Re: Tea

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Tue Feb 26 17:58:59 PST 2002

OK it is Gillards of Bath, they are located in the Guild Hall in Bath
(which you should go into because it is a great historic building).
They have a website at
www.gillards.co.uk
All their teas are excellent because there is a huge turnover so nothing
goes stale.  Their coffee is first rate too.  They have been in business
since 1886.
There are a lot of other great merchants in the guild hall.  I used to
do most of my food shopping there when I lived in Bath. A great cheese
shop, two green-grocers, a butcher, a bacon and pie stall, a second book
seller and I forget what else.
Go down the streat past the post office and on the left hand side of the
road is "The Cheese Shop" and "The Sandwich Shop", best cheese and deli
selection imaginable and some fantastic sandwiches.  For beer I
recommend the Star for the only drinkable Bass I have ever encountered.
And there is a pub around the corner from the Hat and Feather just off
the London road (I can't remember its name though) that has all the
childhood games behind the bar, you can play Operation and drink beer at
the same time. The pig and whistle is great in the summer as it is one
of the few places you can sit outside and drink.  They also have a great
selection of guest beers.  If you are visiting a friend get them to give
you an old gas bill or bank statement and you can get into the Baths and
the Costume museum (worth a trip)for free.
Happy times. Now I live in Toledo, OH ;-(
Helewyse

You can tell *me*, Helewyse....;-D I can't drink Earl Grey (really,
really allergic to oil of bergamot), but I *do* want to buy some for
some friends.  I'll be in Bath sometime this September....so, where's
the store?
--Maire