[Sca-cooks] Emus, Gonnas, Yabbies Oh My!

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 19:15:59 PST 2002

>OK.  What's a yabbie?  A goanno?  What do they look like?  (now >watch..a
>yabbie is probably a lizard and I already know what they look >like!).
>Olwen

Hi Olwen -

Yabbies are a local version of Crawfish (I think that's the right name -
they're sort of Prawnish looking but a bit cleverer and live in fresh water
streams) They have (from memory) pincher claws (my ability to catch them
with little bits of meat dangling from a string was nill but the experience
of my one & only Yabbie fishing trip at age 8 is still lurking in the far
recess's of my brain)

and Goannas are big sodding lizards - evil minded, evil tempered and simply
evil, evil, evil (okay - so my encounter with one that was over 2 metres
long and irritated that I had inadvertantly interrupted it's  raiding of my
grandmothers chicken coop for the eggs when I was five may have given me a
serious dislike of them :-p)

I'm sure Mina can give you a much more rational description of both - being
a timid city kid thankfully saved me from too many encounters with either

Mari
(oh and will try to find you some Yowie's that might possibly contain either
:-p)