[Sca-cooks] To bake a tarte of prunes (redaction and questions)

Tara Sersen Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Fri Feb 1 10:26:55 PST 2002

Here's a wacky idea.  Can anybody fill me in on terminology here?  When
we think of "prunes" we think of dried plums, not fresh ones.  I've seen
plums called plums in other period recipes.  So, could this recipe have
been referring to dried plums, not the fresh ones that you used?  They
would have absorbed water/wine from the boiling, not contributed more
liquid of their own.  And they're certainly a much more concentrated
source of sugar, which might have helped with the sweetness and with
gelling the goop in the end.  Although you still would have had to let
it cool.

-Magdalena