[Sca-cooks] Correction and apology

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 09:05:25 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/5/2002 11:54:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
skud at infotrope.net writes:

> News to me.  It's not in corpora, and to the best of my knowledge is not
> reserved under Kingdom law of any Kingdom I know.  If someone chooses to
> call some people apprentices and some students, then fair enough, but
> don't confuse the matter by letting people think that it's an official
> title sanctioned SCA-wide.  Next thing you know, you'll be saying I
> can't wear this green belt!

Give him a break, Katherine, he's new to these things.  The Mistress in
question DOES make a big deal of the difference between *her* apprentices and
students, and forms formal contracts with her apprentices - my husband's was
formalized in East Kingdom Court at Pennsic.  She is also probably the
best-known Laurel in the East, and well-known in other kingdoms; an incorrect
claim to be apprenticed to her would be a big deal to many people, and
something that could well be taken as trying to make oneself appear
important.  Avraham didn't realize what he'd said or why it might be a
problem.  While the term apprentice itself may have no particular worth, to
be known as Isabella's apprentice definitely does make people look at you
differently and more closely and you indirectly pick up a little of her
immense reputation.

Brangwayna Morgan
who knows whereof she speaks; I am the lady of the "sole mail apprentice" to
Isabella.  I have already corresponded privately with Avraham about this, and
accepted his apology, although I didn't feel it necessary.