[Sca-cooks] Correction and apology

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Feb 5 10:34:11 PST 2002

Kirrily Robert wrote:

> Avraham wrote:

> > I am informed (by Her Excellency herself) that "apprentice" is a protected
> > term. Christos is NOT Isabella's formal apprentice, merely her student. My
> > apologies to her sole male apprentice (and his lady!).
>
> News to me.  It's not in corpora, and to the best of my knowledge is not
> reserved under Kingdom law of any Kingdom I know.  If someone chooses to
> call some people apprentices and some students, then fair enough, but
> don't confuse the matter by letting people think that it's an official
> title sanctioned SCA-wide.  Next thing you know, you'll be saying I
> can't wear this green belt!

Varies from Kingdom to Kingdom. Some write it into Law, some don't. Some
care, some don't. And worst- some pretend that they're cool about it and
they really aren't!

In general- don't use the 'A' word unless there is a formal, public
arrangment. Saves trouble.

Did you know in Some Places and Times in Period an apprentice could not
court, much less marry without the Master's permission? No matter how
hold the apprentice? And teh death of teh Master doesn't necessarily let
him off- sometimes the Master's wife inherits not only the business, but
the apprentices. Hehe. If she's cute...

'Lainie
full of useless information