[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk...place to find it

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at nymc.edu
Wed Feb 6 05:35:36 PST 2002

> > > It was about $2.00 for about 8 oz of Almond Milk.  Not too
> > bad...especially
> > > since if I were to make my own, it would probably end up being FAR
more
> > and
> > > not as fast (or as good, most likely).
> >

> Making your own almond milk is far cheaper.  I bought half a pound of raw,
> unblanched sliced almonds for $1.58 and have made 14 cups (112 oz) of
almond
> milk from them, and still have about a third of the half-pound of almonds
> left.  Raw blanched sliced almonds are slightly more expensive - maybe
$1.75
> for a half pound.
>
> With the food processor, I can make 6 cups of almond milk in about 10
> minutes, maybe less.  And it's better than what I can buy, because all the
> brands I can buy have natural stabilizers and stuff added - which is not
> surprising, but I'd rather not have them.

Hmmmm.... I need to make "rice in almond milk" for 75 for a feast on
Saturday. I'm estimating a need for about 12 quarts of almond milk on the
basis of the recipe I have... looks like you're getting almost a gallon (16
cups) from half a pound of almonds? How do you make your almond milk? If you
can get that quantity, then it's certainly a LOT cheaper to make it
myself... I just hope the store will let me return what I bought....