[Sca-cooks] Time for a Poll?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 6 07:31:28 PST 2002

y2k_knight( Richard Falconer) asked:

> What is your favorite PERIOD recipe?  Is this a better 'eventing' or 'home'
> recipe?

I like dessert/sweet/confection recipes. I like the category... for
different
events I do different recipes that are appropriate to that event's theme
and
time. I am partial to shortbread which I can now date to accounts in
1608.

> What is your favorite PERIOD ingredient?

I like "real" ingredients. I don't like seeing dried milk being used
instead
of whole milk to save money. I like using butter, lard, wholewheat
flour, etc.
I would prefer fresh fruits, not canned; although if it must come from a
can,
then I'd still prefer quality brands, not generic no-name.

> What is your best story about 'leaving a key ingredient or utensil at home'?
> How did you get along without out it (went to town and replaced it, made do
> without)?

I can remember replacing parsley by a trip to the store at 6 am, but
in general I usually worked from complete lists and brought it all
and then extra (really overpacked)when it came to what was needed.
My husband often thought it would have
been easier to box the kitchen and bring it.
It's like being prepared in scouting, except in this case
you overprepare and then bring more.

Johnnae llyn Lewis
Johnna Holloway