[Sca-cooks] 50 years of Queen Elizabeth II

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Wed Feb 6 15:05:48 PST 2002

Glenda States:

>In Australia the populace likes her so much we voted to not become a
>republic recently. And there's the added bonus of her wonderful 101yo
>mother.

Yeah hangon here...  If the vote was a straight monachy vs republic
vote then the republic would have prevailed but the whole vote was
derailed because some pro-republic people voted against because of the
model of republic chosen...

I'm English & Australian by birth, and believe that Great Britain
works well on the Westminster political system but that it's time for
Australia to move on.

>Just a bit of a point of order, though - the British monarchy has
been
>uninterrupted since Charles II - if a monarch dies, the new monarch
is
>immediately in place - heard it on a documentary about St Georges
chapel
>last night - the garter knight's banners are removed when they die,
but the
>monarch's banner stays put.

Agree with you on that one.  We have to be getting close to 500 year
anniversary of the interregnum...

Drakey.

Obligatory fud content:  The is a really scrummy cafe, The Republic,
downstairs from my work that does the nicest cappachinos I have ever
drink and makes chocolate crackles with lindt chocolate.  Oh Yumbo...