[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk...place to find it

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 15:41:30 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/6/2002 9:49:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
goldberg at nymc.edu writes:

> Hmmmm.... I need to make "rice in almond milk" for 75 for a feast on
> Saturday. I'm estimating a need for about 12 quarts of almond milk on the
> basis of the recipe I have... looks like you're getting almost a gallon (16
> cups) from half a pound of almonds? How do you make your almond milk? If
> you
> can get that quantity, then it's certainly a LOT cheaper to make it
> myself... I just hope the store will let me return what I bought....

You should be able to get the gallon easily, maybe even a gallon and a half.
Just keep squeezing out the almonds until the "milk" starts to get a little
thin and watery, then get rid of some of the ground-up ones and add fresh.
I use an 11 cup food processor, put in about a cup of almonds to start and
grind them up a little, then add about 2 cups of liquid at a time.  I really
can't do more than that at once or it gets messy :-)  Whirl them around for a
few 10 or 15 second bursts, maybe let them sit a minute or two, and dump the
mess into cheesecloth; let the liquid drain through into whatever you want it
in, then squeeze the rest of the liquid out and dump the almonds back into
the food processor for another go.  It's a bit messy, but not difficult.  You
can keep it under refrigeration for a couple of days, although you'll have to
shake it to mix it back together - it tends to separate.

Of course, if they won't let you return what you bought, use it - you can
cook with it, it's just not quite the real thing.  I've used it for quick
trials and stuff before.

Brangwayna Morgan