[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk...place to find it

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 6 20:48:10 PST 2002

Randy Goldberg said:
> > With the food processor, I can make 6 cups of almond milk in about 10
> > minutes, maybe less.  And it's better than what I can buy, because all the
> > brands I can buy have natural stabilizers and stuff added - which is not
> > surprising, but I'd rather not have them.
>
> Hmmmm.... I need to make "rice in almond milk" for 75 for a feast on
> Saturday. I'm estimating a need for about 12 quarts of almond milk on the
> basis of the recipe I have... looks like you're getting almost a gallon (16
> cups) from half a pound of almonds? How do you make your almond milk? If you
> can get that quantity, then it's certainly a LOT cheaper to make it
> myself... I just hope the store will let me return what I bought....

Since you've already bought the almond milk, if you can, perhaps you
should hold on to it until after the feast and then return it if you
don't use it. This would give you a backup just in case something
happens to the other or your yield doesn't turn out to be as high.

I believe the yield varies depending upon how finely ground the nuts
are, how fresh they are and how many times you run the liquid through
the ground nuts.

If you haven't taken a look at this file in the Florilegium, perhaps
it might also prove useful:
almond-milk-msg   (57K)  7/ 7/00    Making almond milk. Recipes. Deskinning nuts
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/almond-milk-msg.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net