[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk what to do with the left over almonds

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 19:42:56 PST 2002

Ah!  Tonight's Steppes Cooking Guild class was "Lenten Foods and Almond
Milk," with a discussion of Lent dietary restrictions, making almond milk,
and we ate some rice cooked with almond milk.  Everybody had bottles of
almond milk to take home, and recipes.

For period ideas to use up the ground almonds, there is the sugared almonds
recipe in The Miscellany (starts with toasted almonds that you crush, we
figured that we just did them in reverse); the toasted almonds on "Ryse in a
Fysshe Day" from the same book; and something else that I don't recall now.

For modern uses, we thought of macaroons; amaretti; sweet topping for breads
and such (toast almonds and cocoanut shreds, it started); almond brittle;
almond filling; almond ice-cream; and almond bark.

I think there were more, but those are the ones that sounded good to me.

                                            ---= Morgan