[Sca-cooks] OT- Woe is me!

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 18:03:52 PST 2002

Oh, dear!

Well, I have both cooked one handed - came down the same way you did but
was luckier - and smashed in my teeth. Not at the same time, though.
Neither was easy. No assistants, though, either time.

I took care of the one handed bit by eating a lot of take out and
prepared food, which is less an option for you. It is disconcerting to
find that you can't open a can or even some cardboard packages...

When I bashed my teeth, most of the damage was just to the front ones. I
could (after the first swelling went down) chew, but not bite. So mostly
I had to cut things up into little bitty pieces... You have no idea how
desperately I longed to bite an apple! I couldn't have the
reconstruction done for a few months...

Mashed vegetables. Soft vegetables that can be cooked soft without
becoming inedible. Rice, noodles, macaroni. Pasta with sauce.
Hamburgers. Shredded chicken. I'm not much of a meat eater, so I don't
remember that being a problem... lentils and beans were easy. Soups.
Soup is better than stew because everything is in smaller bits, then
cooked soft.

I hope they fix you both well. Modern dentistry is amazing - no one
seems to know that my front teeth aren't real.

Anne