[Sca-cooks] OT- Woe is me!

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 18:20:07 PST 2002

--- Glenda Robinson <glendar at compassnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 5th of February will always be commemorated in my
> house as Broken Robinson's
> Day!

Sorry to hear about your excitement- may the next few
weeks be rather boring ;-)

I had quite extensive oral surgery myself, some years
ago, so I had to go on a soft diet for a while,
myself. Aside from the Ensure I had handy, I
discovered a lot of soups and stews. Basic priciple is
get your preferred ingredients, cut them into small
pieces (your husband can do that, I trust ;-) and slow
cook them all day. If they aren't soft enough at the
end of the day, a trip through the blender can smoothe
things out. If you have a couple different flavors
going at once, say a lamb-n-tater, and a veggie, you
can still maintain a reasonably balanced diet.

One recipe I found and improved on might be nice for
your son, too, considering the time of year down
there. I invented this one because my dentist was
trying to be a smart-ass. He had invited me and his
staff out to lunch after one of my appointments, and I
had made the mistake of mentioning I was really
missing my chocolate chip cookies. As I looked at the
menu, and asked the waitress what soups were
available, he said, "They don't make chocolate chip
soup, Phlip" so that was all I needed to make myself
some the next day. It's cool and tasty, and your son
can likely handle sucking the chips gently.

Chocolate Chip Soup

Bananas, ripe but not brown
Whole cream
Dash of cinnamon
Shake of white pepper
Good dash of nutmeg
Chocolate chips

Easiest way to make it is to put roughly equal amounts
of banana and cream in the blender, with the spices,
and blend in pulses until smooth, adding banana or
cream until it's to your preferred texture or
thickness, then decant and add the chips. If you don't
have a blender, mash the bananas with a fork, potato
masher, or ricer, them mix in the cream and spices
until it's where you want it, then add the chips. It
sets up nicely as a vichysoisse, if you chill it in
bowls in the fridge for an hour or so before serving.

Hope this helps ;-)

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,