[Sca-cooks] OT- Woe is me!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 6 23:25:47 PST 2002

Glenda said:
> Now for the cooking bit:
> <insert sobs here> I can't cook Andrew the soft foods needed for his teeth!
> I can't chop or peel with only my off hand! It's very depressing for me, but
> I've enlisted Wayne, who doesn't like cooking much, but will play with
> knives, as my assistant. So far I've made mashed potato with grated Romano
> cheese, mashed carrots, and partially mashed peas, and got out some chicken
> & pumpkin soup that I make in large batches and freeze. Am going to do some
> apple-sauce, some custards and mousses, and some smooth scrambled eggs over
> the next days, and porridge is a good thing too. I've single-handedly made
> some jelly (US jello) for him, and some Milo milk (chocolate vitamin drink),
> but I needed help even with that (can't open the press-top tin with one
> hand!).
>
> Anyone else got some good ideas for soft foods that are fairly plain (his
> palate's not strong on herbs and spices as yet), that can be cooked by a
> one-handed cook, and an assistant?

It just wasn't your day, was it? I'm happy no one was hurt worse.

I'm not sure I have any specific ideas for the food. However, I think
you could use a electric blender or food processor with one hand to
get more diced up foods.

Another item and cheaper, might be one of the chopper glasses. Okay,
I can hear the hisses and the groans from some of you out there
already. But I do find them useful sometimes. This is usually a
glass jar about 3 or 4 inches high and about as much in diameter.
They have a screw-on top with a spring loaded plunger going through
the top. On the top is a knob to press or pound on. On the other
end in the jar are several blades. The only problem I can see is
holding the jar while you screw on and off the cap with one hand.
Perhaps you can wedge it against something.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net