[Sca-cooks] Re: OT- Woe is me

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 18:40:00 PST 2002

--- Michelle Gilyeat <mikeylou2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I currently have an interesting situation.   For at
> least the next 3
> months, I have to wear an occlusal splint (it's a
> guard over my lower
> teeth to reposition my jaw) and I'm supposed to
> -eat- with this thing
> in.  [I'm supposed to wear it as close to 24/7 as
> possible.]  Soft
> and liquid foods for me, I guess.  Which really
> sucks 'cause I like
> hard crunchy things.  Hrmph.
>
> So, Olwen & Chirhart & anyone else I know who'll
> either be at BB or
> Cook's Guild...No making fun of my speech!  :P
>
> If anyone has suggestions on things to cook that are
> healthy and
> such, I would be grateful.
>
> -Michelle

Well, Michelle, I know at the moment, things seem
pretty hopeless, in so far as being able to use your
mouth normally, but take it from me, you really will
learn to work around the appliance- furthermore, the
more you have it in your mouth initially, the faster
you'll learn to deal with it.

I've suffered quite a few different appliances over
the years, and my lower left lip is partially
paralyzed. It's not noticeable, because as each
assault on my mouth occurred, I simply worked with it
in slow motion until I learned  to make normal sounds,
and chew normally, or at least adequately.