[Sca-cooks] OT- Input request from SCA BoD - Please Help!

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sat Feb 9 10:23:24 PST 2002

    Actually, the single factor that most causes people to leave the Society
or to drastically curtail their Society activities is politics. Almost all
the people I've run into that used to be active stated that politics was the
prime reason they quit. The Society is supposed to be a refuge of honor and
courtesy away from the unpleasantness of the mundane world.
    Instead, they find that when it comes to power plays and personal feuds
in the SCA, it's far worse than the real world; there, they have some form
of legal protection. Here, the law means nothing, and personal connections
mean everything. Almost all official SCA functions, including vendettas,
occur in total secrecy, which is distasteful to most. But since there's
nothing anyone can do about it, eventually they stop being members and
sooner or later just go away. There's a fundamental disconnect between the
populace and the SCA power structure that seems to be growing.
    So if the Board wants to slow the hemorrhage of bitter, disillusioned
former members, they should take some steps to address the state of politics
in the Society. If there is more openness and accountability, perhaps the
populace will sense that membership means more than just being able to get
awards . . .
    I would be very interested in the renewal / new membership ratios, what
the retention rate is. That figure is far more significant than mere
aggregate numbers . . .

    Sieggy