[Sca-cooks] Cooking with Bonzer- or, Adventures in ModernCooking

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 10:49:11 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/9/2002 7:42:03 AM Mountain Standard Time,
t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net writes:

> Transylvania is northwest Romania, and is north of the Transylvanian Alps.
> Wallachia is southwestern Romania, south of the Transylvanian Alps.
> Moldavia is eastern Romania.  For much of the Middle Ages, the regions were
> dominated by Germans and Hungarians.  After the 14th Century, Wallachia and
> Moldavia were controlled by the Ottomans and Transylvania was a disputed
> region between Turkey, Hungary, Austria and the Ukraine.

Somewhat.  Transylvania, while it is disputed now, was originally part of
Hungary.  The Crown lands of Hungary in the middle ages did have some Germans
living in the area, but they had been invited in by the Hungarian kings.  The
most notable were the Saxons in Transylvanian who were invited in to help act
as border gaurds against the Cumin.    After the Ottoman Turks invaded in
Hungary in 1527 Transylvania became an independant principality, and was a
real mover and shaker in Europaean politics, to the point that the Prince of
Transulvanian was signatory on the treaty ending the Thirty Years War.  It
remained as such until 1711 when the Hapsburgs drove the Ottoman Turks out of
Hungary and took control of the entire region that was medieval Hungary,
which included Transylavania.  It remained part of the Austro Hungarain
empire until World War I when Transylvania was joined with Wallachia and what
remained of Moldavia (part of it had been lost to Russia during the Crimean
War) to form Romania.

The Ottoman Turks invaded Wallachia and Moldavia before the invaded Hungary,
but I can't find the date off hand.  Vlad Tepes was the son of a Wallachian
prince and had a great hatred of the Turks, coming mostly from the time he
and his brother were Turkish prisoners.  After his time with the Turks he
returned home to Wallachia, where he went on to rule and go down in history
for his cruelty.  While he did the occasional raid into Transylvania, he did
not live there.

Noemi
whose thesis refused to die. . .