[Sca-cooks] Eastern European History Cooking with Bonzer. . .

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 10 12:08:19 PST 2002

The Magyars entered the region during the 9th Century and exercised
considerable influence over the region, defeating the Bulgars who were
moving north. Many of the Magyars moved north into Hungary and eastern
Germany establishing the Hungarian state, but some may have remained and
become part of the future nobility of the region.  You are apparently
reading my remarks about the Magyars influencing and involving themselves in
the events of the region as control of the region by the state of Hungary.

The creation of a Wallachian principality in 1290 is intriguing, because it
suggests the creation of a buffer state at the time of the Mongol invasions.
The timing would suggest a certain Hungarian interest in having such a
state.  Hungary ruled Transylvania from the 11th to the 16th Centuries and
Transylvania almost certainly influenced the Wallachians.

The only direct control of Wallachia by Hungary of which I know occurs at
the end of the 16th Century when Sigismund Bathory invades Wallachia,
defeats the Ottomans, and takes short-lived control of the principality.  Of
course, by this time much of Hungary was controlled by the Ottomans, so the
view can be taken that this is the act of an independent Transylvania.

Bear