[Sca-cooks] Eastern European History Cooking with Bonzer. . .

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 10 12:08:10 PST 2002

Noemi writes:

>Do we know exactly where Rumpolt was from?  If he was from
>Transylvania proper there are some arguments about where the border of the
>southwestern part of Transylvania was, the Hungarians feel it was much
>further east and south than it was, the Romanians usually show it further
>west.   The history in the region is pretty complex and heavily colored by
>each groups respective nationalism.  It is very easy for someone to see one
>or two maps, or one or two books with a heavy bias and get the wrong idea.
>
>I can honestly say in all of the reading that I have done on Hungarian
>history, while I was in Hungary and for my thesis (on ethno-nationalism in
>Transylvania), I have never run into any Romanian or Hungarian writer who has
>said that Wallachia was part of Hungary.  In fact, the Romanians consider
>what was Wallachia to be the heart of Romania.  So if there was any reason
>for the Hungarians to claim it, some Hungarian nationalist would have done
>it, just to get at the Romanians.

I wonder if this is one of those arguments like the ones where
American Southerners consider anybody from fifty feet north of them a
Yankee...

Rumpolt sez (and many thanks, Dr. Gloning!) :

>Solchs/ in dem ich zu Gemuet gefuehret/ hab ich etliche Jar
>lang verhoffet/
>es wuerde sich etwan ein ander/ so der Sachen/ auch der Sprachen
>besser
>vrkuendig als ich/ dessen vnternemmen. Denn weil ich ein geborner
>Vnger/
>vnd aber der grausam Wuetricht vnnd Erbfeindt Christliches Namens/
>der
>Tuerck/ nach dem er meine Voreltern von Landt vnd Leuten vertrieben/
>das
>vnsere/ so in klein Walachey gelegen/ biß auff den heutigen
>Tag jnnen hat/
>auch vns nach Leib vnd Leben trachtet/ Als hab ich mich von Jugendt
>auff/
>vnter frembden muessen erhalten/ darauff geflissen vnd bedacht
>seyn/ wie
>ich heut oder morgen meinen vnterhalt vnnd außkommen haben
>moechte.
>Hab derwegen von einem Landt in dz ander/ meiner notturfft/ vnd
>der Herren/
>so ich gedienet/ Geschaeffte halben/ verreisen muessen/ also/
>daß ich einer
>Sprach nach notturfft nicht hab obligen koennen.

I'm not sure if this suggests that Rumpolt was born a Wallachian,
which is in Hungary [part of a premise which is not proved,
understand I'm not stating this as fact], or if he was born a
Hungarian but was driven into Wallachia. Or something else. This is
still a bit far from the German I'm reasonably familiar with...

Adamantius