[Sca-cooks] Eastern European History Cooking with Bonzer. . .

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 11:43:46 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/10/2002 7:21:01 AM Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> I can't answer this specific question, since it's not addressed to me
> and I don't have the info anyway, but FWIW, doesn't Marx Rumpolt
> (whom Paul Kovi claims identifies himself in the intro to his
> [Rumpolt's] book as Wallachian), give a number of allegedly Hungarian
> recipes which are actually from Rumpolt's homeland? In other words, I
> get the impression that Rumpolt thinks that Wallachia is part of
> Hungary as of 1581 or so...

I can't answer this question myself, since by that time Transylvanian was a
Principality and both Wallachia and the rest of Hungary were part of the
Ottoman Empire.  Do we actually know if this is Rumpolt thought of himself or
is it possible that we have a modern intoduction of Rumpolt's work based off
of Transylvania being part of modern Romania?  I know he refers to several
recipes I've seen as refering to how things would be eaten by a Hungarian or
a Pole.  This could just indicate that he traveled a lot, or came from what
is now Slovakia, which was under Hungarian rule and would have been close to
Poland.  Do we know exactly where Rumpolt was from?  If he was from
Transylvania proper there are some arguments about where the border of the
southwestern part of Transylvania was, the Hungarians feel it was much
further east and south than it was, the Romanians usually show it further
west.   The history in the region is pretty complex and heavily colored by
each groups respective nationalism.  It is very easy for someone to see one
or two maps, or one or two books with a heavy bias and get the wrong idea.

I can honestly say in all of the reading that I have done on Hungarian
history, while I was in Hungary and for my thesis (on ethno-nationalism in
Transylvania), I have never run into any Romanian or Hungarian writer who has
said that Wallachia was part of Hungary.  In fact, the Romanians consider
what was Wallachia to be the heart of Romania.  So if there was any reason
for the Hungarians to claim it, some Hungarian nationalist would have done
it, just to get at the Romanians.

Noemi