[Sca-cooks] FREEZING WINE......

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 18:52:12 PST 2002

--- Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I just got this tip from a health food newsletter I
> get. Now I am asking
> folks on the list.  What is your opinion of freezing
> wine for later use in
> cooking? A good idea or a bad one?
> Phillipa
> ************************************
> PS: If you DO like to cook, here's a quick tip: Ice
> cube trays are a
> convenient  way to freeze wine. These small  amounts
> are perfect for cooking
> and will save buying a bottle of wine when you need
> only 1/2 cup for a recipe.

Well, cuz, it's like this. A few Pennsics ago, a
gentle stopped over with some home made meads, and he
described one as follows:

"Well, it accidently fell into the freezer, and when I
found it and got it out, I rescued what I could."

What he had done was freeze distillation, a process
whereby you freeze the alcoholic beverage, and
separate the solids from the liquids, and discard the
solids. This is an excellent method of increasing the
alcohol content of a beverage, but unfortunately it is
just as unlawful as doing the sour mash thing with the
boiler and the copper pipe.

Alcohol doesn't freeze, cuz, at any temperatures
you're likely to get it your home freezer, so what you
will have done is separated out the flavors and the
alcohol- which may be a good idea, but doesn't retain
the original taste of the wine. Also, if the revenuers
do catch you, for some reason I rather doubt they're
going to believe you wanted the flavor, not the
alcohol ;-)

It's up to you, cuz. If you want to try it, and you
like the results, and you're willing to take the risk,
go for it. Just don't publicly admit that that's what
you did.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,