[Sca-cooks] FREEZING WINE......

KazOShea at aol.com KazOShea at aol.com
Sun Feb 10 19:38:00 PST 2002

I should point out on this thread that from research I have done that in
order to truly do an illegal increase in the alcohol content you need to use
a metal bowl and ice cubes. You stir the ice cubes into the wine and then put
the bowl into the freezer, you then need to warm it up again slightly and
then freeze it at a colder temperature, only after you have done this several
times and at increasingly cold temperatures, if I remeber correctly to bring
your original wine to about 80 proof you need to have a finaly lowered
temperature of about -40 degrees farenheit in your freezer and repeat the
process of warming stirring and cooling about 4-5 times. Does any commercial
freezer get that cold normally ?
Another note to the above; I did not do this but a friend who was into
chemistry did this. It is really a rather harsh and nasty tasting product
once done.
Another way that alcohol content was increased was addding slaked lime to the
wine, this was done by an 11th century monk in I think italy or France and he
produced nearly pure alcohol. Now how drinkable it was I do not know, but the
implication was that it was used in a medicinal. I will see if I can find the
documentation on this,  I have it somewhere though.

Iago/TGS