[Sca-cooks] Eastern European History Cooking with Bonzer. . .

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 11 00:02:42 PST 2002

>--
>In a message dated 2/10/2002 9:35:09 PM Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
>writes:
>

>>  Okay, so he is Hungarian by birth, Wallachian by ancestry, and
>>  perhaps living in some German-speaking land as of the time of
>>  writing, assuming the original text is German. Okay, so this really
>>  doesn't imply that Wallachia is in Hungary.
>
>And it doesn't give us an idea of where the heck he actually came from, since
>his name is defiitely not Wallachain.  Of course he could be using a
>psuedonym. . .and so on.

Or a Germanized variant of his actual name (so speaks Gwydion ap
Adamnan, a.ka. G. Tacitus Adamantius). For example, I believe Paul
Kovi, in his intro reference to Rumpolt, refers to him as Marcus
Rumpoldt, and it took me a while to figure out who he meant.

>    The reference to little Wallachia has got me
>wondering, I may reread some of my books on Transylvania to see if I can find
>any other refernces to it.

I think "little Wallachia" isn't so much to distinguish it from some
other Wallachia, as with, say, White Russia, just a reference to its
being little, probably in comparison to various enemies. Not unlike
the occasional references we see to Little Israel; they're still just
talking about Israel.

>I never read Dracula so I don't get any mental images of who might be playing
>Rumpolt in this quote. . .

You ought to read it: it's an abysmal story, well written, as opposed
to "Frankenstein," which is a glorious story, abysmally written. But
you should probably read Rumpolt first ;-).

Adamantius