[Sca-cooks] New Year's Prep...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 11 00:10:51 PST 2002

Adamantius said:
> Fried Fish -- this is one of the dishes we're supposed to have
> prepared by sundown tomorrow night. We usually do two fried fish,
> representing the yin and the yang; they keep pretty well, which is
> good because they're not supposed to actually be eaten until the next
> day.

Is this two different types of fish? Or just two seperate fish?

> Steamed Lop Cheung -- Another traditional presentation; these go with
> the fish, which represent procreation and regeneration. The lop
> cheung (a sweet, cured sausage with grain alcohol and sugar) add
> long-term prosperity to this image. These are also supposed to be
> kept until New Year's Day. We usually cook a lot (there are supposed
> to be 2, we do more like 20 the next day, steamed on top of the rice).

This sounds good. Is this something you make from scratch? or a
particular type of sausage you buy at a market?

> Ketchup Shrimp -- this is one of several rather easy sauteed dishes,
> again, this is supposed to be done in advance; in fact it's pretty
> good cold. Shrimp (in Cantonese, "har",) are considered by the
> Southern Chinese to represent laughter and, therefore, happiness.
> Besides, the sauce is reddish, and red is the big Chinese festival
> color. Made with little, peeled, deveined, frozen (raw) shrimp. I'm
> good at peeling the little buggers, don't get me wrong, but if I can
> get a decent product already peeled and deveined, I'm on it like
> stupid on a president...

How is this different from the usual cold shrimp with red cocktail
sauce? Now if I can make or buy this red sauce, *this* dish I might
be able to make.

> Soy Sauce Chicken -- Chicken braised in soy sauce, with five spice
> powder and tangerine peel. Another generic Cantonese festival food.
> This should also be done in advance, and eaten at room temperature.

This one I might be able to do as well. But I'm not sure where I'd
find the "five spice powder" or the "tangerine peel". I assume that
this five spice powder is a particular set of spices?

> Fried Pepper Salt Prawns -- We have a box of big prawns with heads
> on; these will be slit and deveined, rolled in seasoned rice flour
> with some salt and five-spice added, deep-fried in the oil from the
> Spring Rolls, briefly sauteed with chopped green chillies, garnished
> with cilantro, and served with roasted Szechuan peppercorn salt.

Is this "roasted Szechuan peppercorn salt" something you find in
the grocery similar to "Season Salt"? This dish also sounds
wonderful.

I can wait for any answers until after your holiday when you have
more time to answer, in case you see this previous to that.

Thanks,
  Stefan
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net