[Sca-cooks] New Year's Prep...

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Feb 11 04:16:07 PST 2002

> This one I might be able to do as well. But I'm not sure where I'd
> find the "five spice powder" or the "tangerine peel". I assume that
> this five spice powder is a particular set of spices?

You can buy it in most groceries, it will be labelled "Chinese Five-Spice
Powder". Five-spice powder encompasses all five flavors - sweet, sour,
bitter, pungent, and salty. It is generally made from Szechuan peppercorns,
star anise, cloves, cinnamon and fennel seed. The tangerine peel is most
likely just that - the peel of a tangerine, used just like you'd use strips
of orange or lemon peel in Western cooking. Buy a couple of tangerines in
the grocery store. :-)

> Is this "roasted Szechuan peppercorn salt" something you find in
> the grocery similar to "Season Salt"? This dish also sounds
> wonderful.

I dont think so. I think this is just a blend of kosher salt and roasted,
ground Szechuan peppercorns.

Avraham