[Sca-cooks] For those new to cooking

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Feb 11 04:21:46 PST 2002

> > Other folks here have also suggested picking up a
> > modern cookbook
> > with some good basic cooking info such as "Joy of
> > Cooking".
>
> "Joy of Cooking" is very good, well worth an evening
> sit with a mug of hot chocolate, and reading through,
> not the recipes, per se, but the food information that
> the chapters contain. One of the mysteries new cooks
> have to deal with are how foods work- once you start
> to figure that out, cooking becomes considerably
> easier.

I prefer "The New Doubleday Cookbook" to "The Joy of Cooking", and use it as
one of my primary references for timings and so forth. I also STRONGLY
recommend EVERYONE get a copy of "Cookwise" by Shirley O. Corriher - she
goes into quite a bit of detail on the chemistry and physics of cooking, and
once you've read your way through her book, you'll have an amazing
understanding of WHY you're performing the procedures you are in the
kitchen. "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee is also good in this subject.
I have found Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" and "Baking with Julia"
invaluable basic references for master recipes and techniques as well.

Avraham