[Sca-cooks] OT- Input request from SCA BoD/politics

denterleather1 denterleather1 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 13:52:48 PST 2002

> > > The SCA is one of the only RE-enactment or Educational groups that
> doesn't
> > > require membership to participate. The Members for the most part are
the
> > > dedicated ones, the non-members tend to be the ones who complain the
> most.
> > > I do find the solution everyone seems to like in the heartland of the
> > > midwest, Non member surcharges, to be a most revolting thing.  It not
> only
> > > doesn't encourage membership, it keeps people away from events.

<<<< I know that many people thing that if we go to a required membership
thing that many people will not be attending events that are now. I also
realize that there are some who say they cannot afford to pay dues, though
how you cannot afford $ .10 a day to belong to the SCA totally escapes me
and I have noticed that many if not most of the ones who go on about not
being able to pay can afford to buy various items on merchants row every
event.  I think that if you made it pay for play that those who wanted to do
this would pay.  There may be some small number who just refuse to come to
events if they had to be members but I think most would cough up the money.
It still is the cheapest way to play, I can't think of another organization
with cost factors as low as ours. And I do agree that it is the non member
types who have the most to say about how things are done and who is doing
them wrong, so in actuality I wouldn't really care if they quit comming
anyway :)

YIS, Elric