Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Elizabethan Pork

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:57:54 PST 2002

Kiri - same problem this side of the world

One of the local favourites is "Celtic Ham" aka "Gammon in cider with orange
sauce" (the below recipe has been reduced from the long version which
includes leaving the salted hams in water overnight - our local smoked hams
aren't that salty and don't need the extra step)

I'd like to track down a period recipe that shows a similar style of recipe
so I can tell people that "this is NOT a period recipe but is very simliar
to recipe X - found in this manuscript" (fingers crossed).

Johanna has kindly sent me some Ham information that I need to recheck -
will send on anything that I manage to find :-)

mari

Celtic Ham

1 x Shoulder or Leg of Ham
Cider (Draught) – 1 large bottle
Glaze :
Brown Sugar – 4 tablespoons
Mustard (powered) – 1 teaspoon
Cloves – small packet (to stud ham with)
Orange – (grated rind & juice of 1)

Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F
* Remove skin and score fat in diamond pattern with sharp knife and place in
a large cooking tray
* Mix together glaze ingredients
* Spread glaze over leg and stud centre of each diamond pattern with a clove
*Pour cider around base of ham

Place in an oven for approx 1 hour – basting occasionally with cider until
glaze is crisp & golden