Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Elizabethan Pork

Elaine Koogler ekoogler011 at home.com
Mon Feb 11 06:14:51 PST 2002

One of the first dishes I was introduced to in the SCA (back when rocks were
soft and dirt was new) was something called "Norman Vinegar Roast".
Basically it consisted of taking a cured ham, studding it with cloves and
basting it with a mixture of honey and vinegar.  It was passed on to me by
some very fine cooks in the Barony of Caer Mear in Atlantia.  I have often
wondered where the recipe came from and if it really was a period recipe or
something that those cooks dreamed up as a period-seeming thing.  Any ideas?

Kiri